Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Some like to do it in the darK

For some there is not enough challenge in a normal orienteering event- so they wait until the sun goes down, strap on a battery powered version and off they go into the darkness.





Well this hardy bunch of darkness loving orienteers did pretty well.





W70A Maureen Ogilvie 2nd


W60A Angela Murray 3rd


M65A Dick Ogilvie 7th


M60A Dave Lotty 3rd


M45AS Rick Steele 1st


M35AS Dave McKenna 2nd


M35AS Jane Mckenna 3rd


M10N Jared McKenna 1st



Fast moving orienteers seen from Mt Stromlo Observatory

Perhaps the best thing about night orienteering is the light source debate.
having run many times at night I gave up after a particular tough event and I struggled to see using my penlight torch. I was standing in a gully searching high and low when over the ridge came what could only be described as a scene from a horror story. You know the eerie light scene. As the gully brightened and the true nature and control was illuminated I realised that without a 50000 Watt headlight I wasn't in the hunt. I retired my pen light torch, thought seriously about upgrading to a trusty dolphin. I will return to night orienteering when they run the event not in age classes but in wattage classes!

No comments: