Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Thanks Arthur

Saying goodbye to a friend who has passed away is always a time of mixed feelings.
Quite a sizeable crowd of members of Arthurs extended orienteering family joined with Arthur's family as his ashes were interned at Rookwood. It was good to see a large turn out from Uringa.

A number of people spoke including Nick and Ingrid Wilmott. Each speaker commented on the wonderful sense of family and community Arthur had.
For me, I first met Arthur at McCarrs Creek- on a ridge as I was trying to complete my first ever red (Hard) course. He took the time to help me relocate, gave me some clues on where I was supposed to go and bid me on my way.
Little did I realise that I would work for over a decade with Arthur during my time as President of Orienteering New South Wales. Here Arthur was a club delegate and later served as Treasurer for the association.
He also volunteered his time to assist with training camps and basically everything that was going.
Arthur's sporting prowess was based on participation in rugby league, basketball, and orienteering. Whatever he tried he had a real fair go.

In later years as health  issues reduced and curtailed his ability to be out there in the bush he always had his hand up to lend a hand.


As we gathered at the Wentworth Hotel post the ceremony it was great to reflect on Arthur's contribution to all our lives . Thanks Mate